From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 17:34:39
1 On Wednesday 24 April 2013 13:23:23 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:58:21PM -0400, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
3 > > On 24/04/13 12:16 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > > > it has been suggested that gentoo's oldnet scripts be split out
5 > > > into their own package separate from OpenRC so that they can be
6 > > > developed independently. I am looking at doing this for OpenRC
7 > > > 0.12, which I hope to release soon.
8 > > >
9 > > > This means when you emerge or upgrade to openrc-0.12, the net.*
10 > > > scripts will no longer be included. I am going to call the separate
11 > > > package that includes these scripts gentoo-oldnet.
12 > > >
13 > > > My plan is to write a newsitem when OpenRC 0.12 is released
14 > > > telling users this and that they will have to emerge gentoo-oldnet
15 > > > to get the gentoo networking scripts or turn on the newnet (maybe
16 > > > I'll change this to net) use flag to get OpenRC's network scripts
17 > > > installed and put ewarns in the ebuild if this use flag is turned
18 > > > off.
19 > > >
20 > > > I feel that a newsitem and ewarns in the OpenRC ebuild cover live
21 > > > systems well. In a nutshell, users should pay attention to their
22 > > > news items and ewarns.
23 > > >
24 > > > On the other hand, some are suggesting that I should add a runtime
25 > > > dependency to OpenRC so that it pulls in gentoo-oldnet. Since
26 > > > OpenRC doesn't need gentoo-oldnet in order to run, I feel like this
27 > > > would be abusing dependencies.
28 > > >
29 > > > Does anyone have any thoughts?
30 > >
31 > > Current users should be able to do a -uDN and still have their
32 > > existing systems work as-is. Whether you do this via a static
33 > > dependency or one controlled by a use flag (and be sure use flag
34 > > defaults would have oldnet installed by default) is up to you.
35 >
36 > The issue is that OpenRC does not have any kind of dependency on
37 > gentoo-oldnet at all. There will be a separate loopback script in OpenRC
38 > so it is possible to run OpenRC on a system without the oldnet or
39 > newnet scripts. In fact, this is a completely valid configuration.
40 >
41 > OpenRC doesn't "link" to gentoo-oldnet in any way, so there is no
42 > dependency.
43 >
44 > The way I read the dev manual [1], a newsitem and postinst messages are
45 > the way to go for somethinglike this.
46
47 it is reasonable to expect openrc updates to *not* break a system. that means
48 people shouldn't be required to read a news/postinst message to keep from
49 killing things.
50
51 even then, a default Gentoo system should have networking support available by
52 default. our manuals assume this, and people shouldn't have to install a
53 stage3 and then do `emerge gentoo-oldnet` just to have that happen. so
54 keeping a dependency in openrc (perhaps initially hard, or behind
55 IUSE=+oldnet) makes sense.
56 -mike