From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] useless set*id binaries
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 02:14:38
1 On Friday 27 January 2012 20:49:49 Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > and people have multiple times tried to convince the cdrtools author to
3 > change this, but without success.
4 > the author can be, well, ...
5
6 sure, i'm not expecting him to be anything resembling reasonable. but if we
7 can reduce set*id impact by default and that means carrying a custom patch, i
8 think that's OK.
9
10 i thought we used to have set*id USE flags, but maybe all the packages with it
11 have migrated away.
12
13 my proposal would be to add a patch to ignore EACCES just like it already does
14 for ENOENT. then add a setuid USE flag that'd give the behavior we have today
15 (disabled by default) for the binaries that do writing. the ones that only
16 read have no excuse for needing setuid. then if the user has built with USE=-
17 setuid, we elog a message like:
18 you've built with USE=-setuid. that means in order to access
19 your discs, you need to add yourself to the cdrom group.
20 if your burning does not go well, you can try adding the cdrom
21 group to limits.conf with rtprio/mlock access like so:
22 <snippets for people to copy & paste>
23 -mike