From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /usr vs. /usr/local
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:55:42
1 On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 22:50:06 +0200 Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net>
2 wrote:
3 | What is the supposed location of installed packages, /usr or
4 | /usr/local? Or stated otherwise, is it allowed for an ebuild to
5 | explicitly put files into /usr/local?
6
7 An ebuild should never install anything into /usr/local (exception:
8 baselayout).
9
10 | The reason I'm asking this is that I just found out that app-misc/bins
11 | explicitly puts some files into /usr/local/share and I always thought
12 | /usr/local is reserved for manually installed packages.
13 |
14 | Anybody can shed some light on the matter?
15
16 http://bugs.gentoo.org/
19 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
20 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
21 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm