From: Peter Johanson <latexer@g.o>
To: Tony Clark <tclark@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] *IMPORTANT* top-level management structure!
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 03:36:33
1 On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 05:02:32AM +0200, Tony Clark wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 25 June 2003 03.33, Daniel Robbins wrote:
3
4 > 2. What are the core applications. Is it a desktop, a server orinitated
5 > system or a system compremised to do both. I would suggest desktop as I
6 > think thats what it is mainly used for, but I don't have the stats so I could
7 > be well off the mark. (Market research required)
8
9 One of the strenghts of gentoo, IMHO, is that it is suitable for *any*
10 of these uses. We don't need "core" applications in the sense of
11 distinguishing it as one type of distro or the other. It is a
12 metadistribution in every sense of the word, including not confining
13 itself to one "specialty"
14
15 > 3. What platform should be supported at release time. Here I think x86 and
16 > maybe x86-64. Targeting too many will just delay it. Have some other dates
17 > for the rest to follow.
18 >
19 > These are just really fundementals but until the requirements are documented
20 > things will never really come together.
21 >
22 > Get things out in the open. Gentoo-core is probably the worst idea someone
23 > ever came up with, OSS development is meant to be a very transparent process.
24 > Make it transparent. I know there are always private issues but if they
25 > involve more than 3 people then perhaps they should be public.
26
27 i know there has been strong movement to move more things off of -core
28 and to -dev, as well as reducing non development issues to -user.
29 Continuing this effort, and keeping -core for truely important issues,
30 (konwn vulnerabilities like the KDE one from a while back) is important.
31 It should be stressed that -dev should be considered *the* place for
32 development mails, and -core for truly *core* specific issues.
35 Peter Johanson
36 <latexer@g.o>