From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] default desktop profile
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 18:54:54
1 On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 09:09 +0200, Rémi Cardona wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 11:27 +0200, Martin Schwier wrote:
4 > >> +startup-notification
5 >
6 > Actually, rereading that list, I wouldn't mind adding this one. Gnome
7 > and a couple of core Gnome apps hard-depend on it, as I am must sure
8 > must be the case in KDE.
9 >
10 > Samuli also told me that xcfe4 really needed it anyway. I guess this is
11 > one where most people would easily agree on adding it to the desktop
12 > profile.
13
14 I've added ppds and startup-notification to the default USE for the
15 newly-created x86 development profiles for 2007.1, which I'd ask people
16 to base any change requests on, rather than the 2007.0 profiles.
17 Basically, if it isn't in the 2007.1 profile and you want it, ask for it
18 on gentoo-releng. If we think we need more discussion on a particular
19 USE flag, we'll bring it back here.
20
21 One thing to remember, I do *not* consider our desktop profiles to be
22 "opt-in" but rather to be a good out-of-box experience for the user. If
23 you want to think of the desktop profiles as bloated, feel free to use
24 the versioned profile (like 2007.0) instead, as it will be much closer
25 to the opt-in idea and only has USE flags which are common between
26 desktops and servers and are much less likely to get additional flags
27 added to them, since I want these to be as minimal as possible while
28 still providing important functionality.
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
33 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
34 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
35 Gentoo Foundation