From: The Bit Pit <thebitpit@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reserve mythtv user UID 103
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 18:40:47
1 On 8/25/19 12:29 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 9:10 AM The Bit Pit <thebitpit@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 8/24/19 5:11 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
5 >>> On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 5:28 PM The Bit Pit <thebitpit@×××××××××.net> wrote:
6 >>>> Group is not needed. mythtv uses the video group. This is already in my pull request #12763 to bump to version 30.0 patch. I added myself as proxy maintainer to acct-user/mythtv
7 >>> I assume it is in the video group so that it can access device nodes in /dev?
8 >> That is correct.
9 >>
10 >> mythtv also creates and displays many video files shared with other
11 >> applications. I thought the "video" group was a way to permit that. Is
12 >> there a better way than putting them in the "video" group?
13 > The video group is primarily used by udev to grant access to graphics
14 > hardware. Using the video group to control access to video recording
15 > files seems wrong to me.
16 >
17 > If you need a common group to allow access to files shared among
18 > several applications, you should probably create a separate group for
19 > that.
20 >
21 OK! You have convinced me i need a mythtv group too.
22 >>> It might be a nice idea to give it its own primary group id, This
23 >>> ensures that files it creates will not be automatically exposed to any
24 >>> other random users that are members of the "video" group. You can add
25 >>> it to as many supplementary groups as you need.
26 >>>
27 >>>> I need you to create a acct-group/uucp as it is not in the tree yet.
28 >>> Please note that recent versions of udev/systemd use the "dialout"
29 >>> group for serial devices instead of the old "uucp" group. You might
30 >>> want to just switch over to that.
31 >>>
32 >>>
33 >> I agree and withdraw my request for "uucp" group. It is in out of date
34 >> mythtv documentation and the previous ebuild.
35 >>
36 >> Should I check the use flags for flags enabling support for devices
37 >> needing "dialout" group and modify the installed mythtv user rather than
38 >> including group "dialout" in the "acct-user/mythtv" package?
39 > I'm not sure it would be appropriate to modify the group membership of
40 > the mythtv user within the media-tv/mythtv ebuild.
41 >
42 > Maybe you could add USE flags to control group membership in the
43 > acct-user/mythtv ebuild. You could then depend on these USE flags
44 > withing the media-tv/mythtv ebuild as needed.
45 >
46 > Or maybe I'm over-complicating this; opinions welcome.
49 I like this idea. It would eliminate an awkward entry in media-tv/mythtv
50 ebuilds.
51
52 It will automatically install the required acct-group/... package and
53 add groups to mythtv user. This puts the control of a user's group in
54 the acct-user/... package where it logically belongs. The same use flag
55 that enables an option in media-tv/mythtv can also be used in
56 acct-user/mythtv to add groups.