From: The Bit Pit <thebitpit@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: acct-user/... modifies existing user sometimes
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 20:43:20
1 On 12/15/19 5:31 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 >
3 > Without more information, all I can say is that there's probably a
4 > better way to do whatever these users are doing that doesn't involve
5 > modifying a system user. But regardless, Michał's answer is the right
6 > one if you decide that you do want to modify it.
7 >
8 Your observation is correct. This package I am working with "mythtv" has
9 been around for years. Users customize it incorrectly and once working
10 are reluctant to change it. They still want to upgrade to get
11 features/bug fixes. I am guilty of improper use of the mythtv user
12 myself. There is a lot of old documentation that uses it improperly.
13
14 I am reluctant to introduce unexpected changes to old systems. This
15 update will force consideration that maybe the mythtv user is being
16 misused; while manually restoring (or creating a custom overlay) after
17 acct-user/mythtv is emerged on the system. Once installed
18 acct-user/mythtv is not usually reinstalled. It should not need manual
19 restoration often.