From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 15:44:25
1 On 28 July 2014 02:42, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > One thing I would question in that table is "applied immediately (but
4 > can break hard when dynamic-deps stop working))." How can dynamically
5 > removing an "unused dependency" cause something to break, setting
6 > aside bugs in the package manager? If removing a dependency causes
7 > something to break, how can it be "unused?"
10 My apologies if this scenario has been explained before, I saw things along
11 these lines, but must may have missed their point:
12
13 I get the impression that this happens:
14
15 1. User installs Foo
16 2. Gentoo needs to change what Foo depends on
17 3. Gentoo simply tweaks the ebuild and doesn't bump [A]
18 4. User syncs.
19 5. Subsequent emerges see dependencies from [A] which are fixed and works
20 in the interim
21 6. A gets removed.
22 7. User syncs.
23 8. Shadowing effect of [A] is removed, and Foo is now back depending on the
24 wrong thing.
25
26 =~ So although this problem will be resolved by also removing Foo, Foo
27 still exists on the system with bad dependencies which could lead to some
28 kind of problem, preventing emerge resolution from making sense.
29
30 Sure, Foo will get reaped by a depclean if it is no longer in world and
31 nothing depends on it, .... but depclean tends to require world to be
32 deeply resolved first.
36 And more questions for the -r1.1 style "Ship a new ebuild" style proposal.
37
38 ::gentoo ships Foo-1.0
39 ::whatever *also* ships Foo-1.0 ( with different dependencies )
40
41 User installs from ::gentoo
42
43 ::Whatever publishes a -r0.1 style ( or equivalent) dependency fix
44
45 What happens for the user, and why.
46
47 I'm of the mind ::Whatever should not tamper with ::gentoo here, though it
48 could be useful, it could also prove problematic.
49
50 Or maybe the idea is just too weird and quirky to implement this way.
53 Kent
54
55 *KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL