From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: drobbins@g.o
Subject: Copyright, non-US devs and Gentoo Foundation vs Gentoo (Was: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting)
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 18:33:21
1 Hi Daniel,
2
3 > > I'm also curious as to why people should be expected to assign
4 > > copyright to a group that is known for licence violations and
5 > > removing attribution from documents. How does this protect
6 > > anything?
7 >
8 > Copyright assignment (first to Gentoo Technologies, Inc., then to
9 > Gentoo Foundation, Inc.) has *ALWAYS* been Gentoo policy.
10 Not quit true, it *had* been policy:
11
12 1) Since the copyright agreement has been taken back by the foundation
13 several gentoo devs joined who never agreed on assigning copyright of
14 their work to the foundation.
15
16 2) There are countries who acutally adhere to the Berne Convention
17 (1886). This means even the deed of commiting sources with a "Copyright
18 (C) XXXX Gentoo Foundation" is useless in most countries of the EU.
19 E.g, *none* of the stuff that I ever commited to Gentoo's repositories
20 is copyrighted (solely) by the Gentoo Foundation, due to me being
21 German citizen and writing that stuff in Germany. FYI, there isn't even
22 something like Copyright in Germany. We have an "Author's right" which
23 agree with the Berne Convention and deviates from copyright in several
24 points.
25
26 > 1) Any material created by Gentoo developers, as part of an official
27 > Gentoo Project, needs to have copyright assigned to the Gentoo
28 > Foundation, whether or not it is currently included in the Portage
29 > tree. This protects all of our collective contributions against
30 > misuse, which is why it is policy.
31 As I pointed out above, that's useless. See the Berne Convention and
32 keep in mind that only half of the (active) developers come from the
33 US.
34
35 > 2) Any material not assigned to the Gentoo Foundation cannot be
36 > considered an official Gentoo Project. It would not fall under the
37 FUD. Honestly, Gentoo as a project should not care if it is copyrighted
38 to the Foundation. The *Foundation* should strive to work with the
39 Authors on a mutually acceptable way of copyrighting it.
40 > umbrella/scope of the development project that is Gentoo, which is in
41 > part a legal structure to protect our collective work, (code, logos,
42 > etc.) and would be considered a third-party project.
43 >
44 > I'd be really surprised - flabbergasted, really - if this has
45 > changed. But at this point I almost wouldn't be surprised. :)
46 Suprise! :-)
47
48 Danny
49 --
50 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
51 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
52 --
53 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list