From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild life cycle review
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 15:32:58
1 On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 12:31:19 +0100
2 Samuel Bernardo <samuelbernardo.mail@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > - if there is more then X new versions in upstream, get from a release
5 > feed associated with ebuild (X value defined by project leader with
6 > threshold set by CI)
7
8 This is probably the biggest difficult part really.
9
10 There's lots of different services that provide this, but none of them
11 are great for us, really.
12
13 The majority of the ones I've looked at have a very hard time as soon
14 as perl versions turn up.
15
16 Even our own project, euscan, had serious problems with this.
17
18 And evaluating this data in a notifiable way can be very expensive
19 depending on how you do it, when contacting a service.
20
21 ( Most services I've seen don't have a 'bulk' query interface, so you
22 need a query-per-package... , and trying to get the service to work out
23 'what gentoo has' to work it out is even trickier )
24
25 I've been abusing release-monitoring for perl stuff, it was very time
26 consuming to get everything we use tracked there, and I'm the only
27 person who really adds new perl entries to it to track, so it only
28 covers a fraction of gentoo.
29
30 ( And again, it has the query-rate limitations, and the "perl versions
31 are hard" problems as well )