From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dropping dev-lang/lua:5.2
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 10:36:33
1 Dear everyone,
2
3 As many (if not most) of you know, the Lua ecosystem is somewhat awkward
4 owing to the facts that on the one hand dev-lang/lua upstream has never
5 officially declared end of life on older versions, and on the other
6 dev-lang/luajit has never moved beyond 5.1 with their API support.
7 Still, this doesn't mean WE have to support all branches in
8 perpetuity... Between 5.1 being effectively here to stay due to LuaJIT
9 and 5.4 still being relatively new (meaning it cannot feasibly replace
10 5.3 at this point), I would like to start by getting rid of 5.2 first.
11
12 Having just had a look on p.g.o. at the list of packages utilising the
13 relevant USE_EXPAND flags (as well as at net-proxy/haproxy, which
14 *still* hasn't been ported to Lua eclasses), it looks like it would in
15 fact be quite easy to do - among both single- and multi-impl Lua
16 revdeps, there are none which only support 5.2.
17
18 PS. Another benefit here would be that we wouldn't have to deal with
19 internal interpreter weirdness demonstrated by
20 https://bugs.gentoo.org/768048 which upstream have long since fixed in
21 5.3+ but my experiments suggest would be non-trivial to address in 5.2
22 without risking serious breakage.
23
24 WDYT?
27 Marecki

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature