From: Michael Weber <xmw@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should mirror restriction imply bindist restriction?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 19:55:32
1 On 04/26/2013 09:23 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Fri, 26 Apr 2013, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Currently RESTRICT=mirror and RESTRICT=bindist are independent of
5 >>> each other. I wonder if the former should imply the latter.
6 >>>
7 >>> Is there any package where the files in SRC_URI cannot be mirrored
8 >>> (i.e., redistributed), but where the built package can be
9 >>> distributed?
10 >
11 >> i've used RESTRICT=mirror in the past when the files were really
12 >> large (like games or toolchain source tarballs) and upstream already
13 >> had a good mirroring system. in both cases, there was no binary
14 >> redistribution restrictions.
15 >
16 >> so my answer would be no: we have two independent knobs and let's
17 >> keep them that way.
18 >
19 > Right. And as was pointed to me on IRC, another legitimate case for
20 > mirror restriction are packages in overlays whose distfiles are not on
21 > mirrors. Then it obviously makes no sense to check mirrors for it.
22
23 And sunrise suggested to not set it, to make the move into main tree
24 less error prone.
25
26 I think, all the legal terms "no mirror" and "no branded redistribution"
27 are clear, but portage might get problems to check/recognise "within a
28 legal entity". DNS zones, netblocks and so on are all optional and do
29 not necessarily represent these boundaries.
30 trusted computing platform ... please no.
31 GPG keys sets with encrypted tarballs would raise the awareness, all of
32 them bypass-able
33
34 In the end, legally speaking, it's the user pushing buttons and portage
35 is no licensed lawyer.
36
37 Michael
38 --