From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Modular X plans
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:56:57
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 (This is an expanded, updated version of a recent blog post, so some of
5 you may have already seen parts of it.)
6
7 Background: Upstream is splitting up the monolithic X.Org X11 release
8 into a huge number of modular releases, the combination of which will be
9 released as X11R7. Simultaneously, a source-identical monolith will be
10 released as X11R6.9.
11
12 Gentoo will only add X11R7, the modular release. Roughly 280 packages
13 will comprise this release, so this will entail adding a few new
14 categories to deal with them.
15
16 Here's the categories I'm looking at using, which is mostly a mirror of
17 how upstream breaks it down:
18
19 ~ * x11-apps: The various applications that come along with all X11RX
20 releases. 86 ebuilds.
21
22 ~ * x11-proto: The protocol headers. 30 ebuilds.
23
24 ~ * x11-libs: 43 ebuilds.
25
26 ~ * media-fonts: 35 ebuilds.
27
28 ~ * x11-drivers: All the video and input drivers. 68 ebuilds.
29
30 ~ * x11-base: The actual X server, and meta-ebuilds. <10 ebuilds.
31
32 ~ * app-doc: Old-format docs that haven't been broken into individual
33 packages yet. Probably just a couple ebuilds.
34
35 ~ * x11-misc: The data module, which contains bitmaps and xkbdata.
36 Also the util module, with imake, etc. <10 ebuilds.
37
38 The new categories are x11-apps, x11-proto and x11-drivers. Of these,
39 the name for x11-proto (the protocol headers) is debatable. The upstream
40 module they're all in is called "proto," and their pkg-config (*.pc)
41 files are called fooproto. But I'm also open to names such as
42 x11-protocol or x11-headers, so let me know what you think makes the
43 most sense, both in understanding the meaning and in combination with
44 upstream's naming.
45
46 My plan is to have a series of "submetabuilds" that combine into a
47 "supermetabuild," which will be the actual xorg-x11 ebuild. There will
48 be one submetabuild for each major component: apps, drivers, libraries,
49 etc. This will allow me to split USE flags out a bit (so e.g., x11-fonts
50 would have 100dpi, 75dpi, truetype as flags) as well as allow people who
51 only want e.g. libraries for a headless server to get them cleanly.
52
53 I intend to begin adding these packages to the tree shortly after the
54 first release candidate, which should be happening very soon.
57 Repercussions:
58
59 All packages in the tree will need to clearly enunciate exactly which
60 parts of X they need as DEPENDs and RDEPENDs, down to the library or
61 application level.
62
63 Until such time as that becomes possible for everyone to do, the
64 x11-libs metabuild will PROVIDE virtual/x11. But realize that not
65 everybody will have or want all the X libraries installed, when they
66 only need a few.
67
68 If your package depends on virtual/x11 for any reason besides libraries,
69 it will require a dependency update to work with the new packages.
72 My preliminary work on the modular ebuilds is at
73 http://dev.gentoo.org/~spyderous/x-modular/ -- browse this at your
74 leisure. The metabuilds are all in x11-base/. There will be no tarball
75 of this overlay available because I'm not interested in dealing with
76 other testers before the first release candidate has even come out.
77
78 I eagerly await your questions and concerns.
79
80 Thanks,
81 Donnie
89 --