From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding --as-needed to LDFLAGS in profiles/default/linux/make.defaults
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 08:07:39
1 On 06/28/2010 10:51 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:44:54 +0300
3 > Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> You've forgotten "make --as-needed not break correct code by making
5 >>> the linker ignore explicit instructions from a program author to
6 >>> link two things together". Until you do that, --as-needed is in the
7 >>> same category as -ffast-math.
8 >>
9 >> And we can't be held hostage by few packages (marginal cases), that's
10 >> why we have function called $(no-as-needed) in flag-o-matic.eclass to
11 >> disable the behavior for these packages.
12 >
13 > Will Gentoo be doing the same for -Ofast and its flags then? After all,
14 > most packages work with them, and you can't let the few packages that
15 > require standard-compliant behaviour from a compiler hold Gentoo
16 > hostage.
19 This is not about optimizing but preventing clear breakage, the benefits
20 of asneeded are not under debate here (like already stated in the
21 original message this thread started from)
22
23 So please stop trying to derail the thread
24
25 - Samuli