From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmasking modular X
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 06:33:07
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > * There is a clean upgrade solution available that will result in
3 > non-ported packages merely pulling in a load of extra unnecessary
4 > packages (that non-modular users have anyway).
5 >
6 > * The clean solution visibly illustrates that a package is unported.
7 > Users who are running ~arch can clearly see this, and can file bugs and
8 > (if they care) attempt a --nodeps installation. The bugs can be picked
9 > up by the package maintainers or the volunteers on this list.
10
11 Yes, for all 3 people who have a clue what it means when virtual/x11
12 gets pulled in. How many users do you seriously think will have a clue
13 and think "Oh, virtual/x11 is getting pulled in here. I must have a
14 package that isn't ported to modular X somewhere in this list. Let me
15 track it down and file a bug."?
16
17 > * The clean solution is the solution originally proposed to this list,
18 > and the reason we are using new style virtuals.
19
20 No, this is wrong. The reason we are using new style virtuals is so we
21 could have a versioning in what provides virtual/x11. Namely, 6.8 or older.
22
23 > * There is an alternate upgrade solution that means that any users who
24 > have an unported package will get their screen filled with several
25 > pages of incomprehensible bright red crap.
26
27 Several pages? How is that coming from a single unported package? Also,
28 it's not incomprehensible and shouldn't be to anyone on ~arch (or
29 frankly, anywhere), because packages involving blockers regularly have
30 to be dealt with.
31
32 > * There are currently enough unported packages that many ~arch users
33 > will probably have one or two installed (assumption: many users have
34 > several utterly random non-mainstream packages installed).
35
36 Possible, but we can't prove this one way or the other. Certainly very
37 few modular X users have encountered apps that are still unported, as
38 evidenced by very few remaining blockers on #112675. And there are a
39 fairly large number of
40
41 > * Despite your original assurances to this list, you intend to go ahead
42 > and take the alternate solution, which will lead to one of the most
43 > user visible and hardest to fix breakages we've ever had.
44
45 Yes, I suggested handling this differently back in early August, when
46 these things were in the planning stage. But even later that month, I
47 posted saying that wasn't the best way to handle it. It's not difficult
48 to imagine that things can change over the course of 6 months.
49
50 > * You are doing this because you believe that it is better to get every
51 > package ported over extremely quickly rather than having the odd
52 > package with extra unnecessary listed dependencies, and you do not
53 > consider the impact upon our users to be relevant.
54
55 I consider ~arch users to have agreed to help test and fix new things.
56 This is included. I would not do the same thing to our stable tree, or
57 if we only had a stable tree.
58
59 Yes, I do think it is better to have a quick solution and let some of
60 our ~arch users see a couple of blocks, for which they will file bugs.
61 Then these bugs will be fixed within a day, and those users will again
62 have working systems.
63
64 I don't see what the big deal is. By being ~arch users, they're already
65 asking to use ebuilds that have a chance of breaking their systems
66 permanently, let alone a single 'emerge sync'.
67
68 Thanks,
69 Donnie