From: Mike Verdone <verdone@×××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Three questions about making a backup of Gentoo.
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 21:57:11
1 In my last post I mentioned I was going to install Gentoo - well, I did,
2 and I love it. Nice work, guys!
3
4 The downside was that it took a few days to get it to the level I like,
5 and a lot of compile time. So, I want to make a backup of my current
6 system. I was just going to do "tar -cjvpf backup.tgz2 /" from the
7 rescue/install cd while chrooted in my system.
8
9 1) Is that a safe and good thing to do?
10
11 2) Can I delete the contents of /usr/portage/distfiles? There's about
12 350mb there that I don't really need.
13
14 3) If I unmerge the kernel source, will that affect the running kernel?
15 Will it mess up future package installs?
16
17 Thanks for all your help,
18
19 Mike.