From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ML changes
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 17:30:02
1 On Sat, 2007-07-14 at 20:20 +1000, Will Briggs wrote:
2 >
3 > But -dev is where the substantial discussion takes place. -dev would
4 > still be the "inside loop." And a community based project simply should
5 > not exclude/reduce (even simply in perception) the community's
6 > involvement in that loop.
7
8 Well forgetting list names for a second. Put the problem another way.
9 There is no list at the moment, internal developers could use to
10 communicate only with other internal developers. Sure we could use
11 -core, but that's more for private stuff.
12
13 Devs might want to interact directly with other devs, without any
14 outside input. But do it in a transparent manner to keep the community
15 informed and a part of the process. Just not a part with input. That
16 does not mean the community is excluded. It's just sometimes you can
17 have to many opinions, and the ones a times that matter the most are the
18 ones actually doing the work. Which in turn become responsible for it.
19
20 > Correct me if I'm reading you wrong but you seem, in your choice of
21 > words, to be relegating non-devs to being "outside of the Gentoo
22 > project." And that is exactly the attitude we need to steer clear of,
23 > and exactly the DNA that this proposal would inject.
24
25 It's just levels of separation as the organization grows. It's not an
26 attitude of separation, it's organization. It's not meant personally.
27 Fact is there are those inside the project and those outside. That's not
28 a good or bad thing, just how things are.
29
30 There is no means for those inside to work directly with each others
31 without outside influence. Not that the outside influence is not wanted,
32 that's not the point at all. It's purely about focus.
33
34 If we see a problem say on -dev, in the future. We know that's an
35 internal problem devs are trying to resolve or etc. Likely to get more
36 focus and/or prioritization.
37
38 Fact is -dev's volume is getting to the point where it's productivity is
39 diminishing. Both with dev <-> dev and dev <-> world. The entire idea
40 here is to help correct that and makes things BETTER :)
41
42 Many will admit there are big problems now. This is just one attempt,
43 one way to address it.
44
45 > I love/admire/adore/have great gratitude for our developers. They are
46 > certainly part of this project. But, even as a lowly user - I am also.
47
48 FYI, every developer was a user at some point. In many ways they still
49 are. This by no means is intended to diminish, cut off, control, etc any
50 user input. That would effectively cut off any future recruiting
51 efforts. Which is not the idea at all.
54 William L. Thomson Jr.
55 Gentoo/Java