From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 17:57:18
1 On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 11:49:18PM +0800, Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > On 8 May 2013 23:39, Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
4 > >> On 1 May 2013 18:04, Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o> wrote:
5 > >>> It looks like there is some consensus on the effort of making systemd
6 > >>> more accessible, while there are problems with submitting bugs about
7 > >>> new systemd units of the sort that maintainers just_dont_answer(tm).
8 > >>> In this case, I am just giving 3 weeks grace period for maintainers to
9 > >>> answer and then I usually go ahead adding units (I'm in systemd@ after
10 > >>> all).
11 > >>
12 > >> In my opinion you should not be asking maintainers to add systemd
13 > >> units to their packages. They most likely do not have systems on which
14 > >> they can test these, and very few users would need them anyway. I
15 > >
16 > >> would think it is better to add them to a separate systemd-units
17 > >> package.
18 > >
19 > > This sounds really wrong (tm) to me. It took me two weeks to kill that
20 > > silly systemd-units pkg.
21 > > All the distros around here do install systemd units with their
22 > > packages and I believe that the council has already spoken about this.
23 >
24 > It sounds more wrong to me to be asking normal package maintainers to
25 > test and maintain unit files, while they don't use systemd themselves,
26 > nor have it installed. Nor would most of our users need this.
27 >
28 > And I believe the council has only spoken out against using a useflag
29 > for installing such files. Afaik they haven't spoken out against a
30 > systemd-units package. Please refer me to their decision if I'm wrong.
31
32 I'm going to have to agree with Fabio on this one.
33
34 A systemd-units package is not a good idea. The eventual goal is to get
35 the systemd units into the upstream packages.
36
37 Thanks,
38
39 William