From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] i have an idea ! (erescue)
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 21:15:16
1 one advantage that other binary based package managers have over Gentoo is
2 ease of recovery from broken core packages ... break your gcc ? no problem !
3 simply do `apt-get install gcc` or `rpm -i gcc` or whatever
4
5 my proposal is to implement a new utility (called 'erescue' for lack of a
6 better name) that is written in C and designed to be statically linked ...
7 then next time you break a core system package which cannot be recovered by
8 simply running `emerge` a few times, you run `erescue <broken package>`
9
10 for example, when i broke binutils in unstable with a gcc4 patch, i noticed
11 that it's hard for users to *easily* recover from this ... we developers end
12 up scrambling to build a bunch of binary packages for a variety of compatible
13 compiler/libc combinations so the user can just wget the file and run `emerge
14 binutils.tbz2` and be on their way
15
16 the packages that would be eligible for an 'erescue' package would be just
17 about everything when you do `USE=-* emerge system -ep` ... i'm sure we can
18 trim many of those out though :) maybe even create a new USE flag for some
19 of these core packages so that we can trim out more files
20
21 the idea would be to create very bare min packages so that the user can simply
22 'rescue' themselves ... after that, they it's up to them to re-emerge the
23 package to apply all their fun ricer-optimizations as they see fit
24
25 i dont think it'd be too hard to integrate this 'rescue set' into a catalyst
26 target so that it'll become part of our normal release schedule of stage
27 tarballs
28 -mike
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list