From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: gentoo-sparc@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] mozilla non-deterministic behavior.
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:07:44
1 Let me apologize in advance for sending this to the wrong places
2 rather that submitting a bug report. I don't know where the bug is,
3 and I an double-posting because I am not sure this isn't SPARC specific.
6 Very Short description:
7 -----------------------
8 1. If you give mozilla complete garbage to display,
9 sometimes it fills the screen with garbage, and sometimes
10 it exits silently. This is with the SAME garbage ---
11
12 http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/experimental/sparc/livecd/sparc64/
13 gentoo-sparc64-1.4_rc4-08Sep2003-cd1.iso
14 will do.
15 2. Same with mozilla-firebird, except it provides "Illegal Instruction"
16 as a clue (to buffer overrun?)
17
18 Longer description:
19 -------------------
20 As above, plus the following:
21 3. Systems involved are sparc U2(lacewing), U60(antaresia) with
22 identical kernels 2.4.21-r1(SMP)
23 4. mozilla is " [ I] net-www/mozilla-1.4-r3 (0)" (current for sparc)
24 5. mozilla-firebird is "[M~I] net-www/mozilla-firebird-0.7 (0)"
25 otherwise running pretty much flawlessly.
26 6. xfree on U2 is "[ I] x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r3 (0)" (current for
27 sparc)
28 7. U60 has two root partitions. One is an exact clone of the other (as
29 of 13 November) except for xfree-4.3.0-r2. Behavior is
30 non-deterministic with either partition mounted on "/".
31 8. All xfree versions have xfree patched (as per comments #32, 33 to
32 bug 19776 because for me xfree is otherwise unusable.)
33 9. Except for today's invitation to update glibc, both systems are
34 completely current and rock solid.
35
36 Observations:
37 -------------
38 10. On a third system (U2-SMP, terciopelo), problem is less likely to
39 occur (maybe
40 never, but I haven't sat at it displaying garbage over and over).
41 It started out as a clone of the original U2, and is current,
42 but I cannot guarantee that its software configuration is
43 identical to the original U2 (lacewing).
44 11. The U2(lacewing) and U60(antaresia) are not identically configured
45 (hardware or software packages.)
46 12. Empirically, -root- has a slightly better chance of success than
47 I as me do.
48 13. Empirically, it seems to help if you try to list a '.bz2' file
49 first; both mozillas filter that out as something they can't deal
50 with and ask for help, but then seem more likely to display
51 garbage for the '.iso' file.
52 14. The "Illegal instruction" makes this look like a buffer overrun or
53 otherwise an attempt to execute data or a program which isn't
54 loaded yet.
55 15. Note that mozilla looks to be pretty agressively threaded.
56 16. For me, gdb has problems with mozilla.
57 17. Oh, before you ask: The mozilla ebuilds downgrade the CFLAGS for
58 mozilla to "-mcpu=v8 -mtune=ultrasparc" so there should be no
59 sparc64 issues here nor similar "-cpu=v9" questions.
60 18. No, I don't use any font server.
61 19. I doubt that this is related to xfree-4.3.0-r3's cryptic "If
62 you have font problems with openoffice, regenerate XF86Config"
63 advice, because:
64 a. xfree-4.3.0-r2 seems to exhibit the same behavior;
65 b. And I couldn't act on that advice anyway, because it doesn't
66 give a clue how one should change XF86Config.
67 ----------------
68
69 By no means do I reject the possibility that this is a problem of my
70 own creation. But if it is such a thing, I do not see how it does not
71 stem from poor interaction among otherwise benign packages. (I say this
72 so that I am more likely to see what I've screwed up immediately after
73 sending this, so that I'll have to come back and admit my mistakes :-) )
74
75 I suppose I am asking for suggestions on how you (collectively) would
76 like me to proceed. I am not really in a position to track down what look
77 to me like (possibly sparc only) timing problems between mozilla and ??
78 which cause mozilla silently to give up.
79
80 Sorry for going on so long,
81 Regards,
82 Ferris