From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Project Sunrise - Gentoo User Overlay
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 01:02:03
1 Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > ..commit their changes to the overlay instead of updating the bugzilla
3 > every time.
4 it is actually encouraged to update bugzilla when changes are made in the
5 overlay.
6
7 Here are some more things I found in the current thread:
8 chris
9 > It also doesn't answer the questions of security and maintenance. Are
10 > genstef and jokey going to be responsible for the security of every
11 > single package in the overlay?
12 Yes, we will be acting upon all issues that we hear about.
13
14 chris
15 > How are
16 > ebuilds going to get from this overlay into the official repository?
17 The people who committed them to the overlay will move them to the tree
18 eventually when they are developers - otherwise any developer can move them
19 if he likes to. Of course taking full responsibility of it, it is also
20 mentioned in the overlay project documentation, that automatic tools for
21 committing to the tree are not allowed.
24 antarus
25 > The point of the
26 > Sunrise project as I understand it is to aid in the development of
27 > ebuilds in maintainer-wanted, such that they may improve and be added to
28 > the tree; as well as to give frequent 'not quite a dev' and 'I don't
29 > have a bunch of time but would like to help' people a place to commit to.
30 Have to agree here :)
31
32 chris
33 > Why is there access controls?
34 Because we are just following the overlays.g.o standards. There is no actual
35 access controls, because we are not refusing valid requests currently.
36 valid requests = come with a valid change they want to make.
37
38 carlo
39 > that is neither supported security wise, nor is
40 > ensured that the ebuilds have a minimal quality (do not fubar a users
41 > system).
42 we do support it security wise, we will be reacting upon security issues. We
43 do have package.mask support in the overlay and we are going to use it.
44 The ebuilds have a quality, repoman is required to be run. Also contributors
45 should be knowing what they are doing - they are submitting an ebuild to
46 the sunrise overlay, it needs to follow certain standards.
47
48 peter
49 > The sunshine overlay
50 nice name :)
51 > Warn users that ebuild in o.g.o come with no assurances whatsoever, and
52 > let the market decide if this is a source worthy of use!
53 That is the plan.
54
55 g2boojum made some interesting suggestions about how bugzilla could be
56 automatically connected with an overlay - unfortunately no one is working
57 on that.
58
59 flameeyes 21:38:17
60 > I would prefer if people would still comment on the bugs when they do some
61 > changes on the overlay so that at least we know that.
62 yeah that is already suggested by the current guide it is useful for
63 maintainers to know about contributors.
64 > eclasses
65 The eclass/ subdirectory has been blocked in the overlay - It is not
66 possible to commit there.
67 If eclasses are needed they need to go through the usual gentoo-dev-review
68 and need to be committed to the main portage tree.
69
70 - Stefan
73 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list