From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Changes to EAPI ban workflow
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 10:38:26
1 On 2021-07-11 21:54, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > My gut feeling is that having this distinction is useful. However, it
4 > has been pointed out that we've probably never really had to use it
5 > (i.e. use the "banned" argument to stop someone from using old EAPI)
6 > and that the switch from "deprecated" to "banned" state did not really
7 > affect porting away from old EAPI.
8
9 For the benefit of those not interested in sifting through the logs of
10 Council meetings, here is a quick reiteration of my take on this:
11
12 1. Maybe it's my professional bend speaking but it feels to me like we
13 really should establish a clear, GLEP-documented EAPI life cycle with
14 well-defined meaning of individual stages. I will work on preparing a
15 suitable proposal;
16
17 2. Until the above has introduced a (hopefully) better system, I am all
18 for removing step 2 because it makes the procedure less bureaucratic.