From: (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild, ip6tables headaches, kernel confusion,xinetd vs. tcpwrappers
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 02:49:12
Thomas Flavel wrote:

> Hi, > > > : 6. app suggestions > > : I haven't seen a master plan/list regarding what get's included in the > > : production release -- although I do think that it should be limited to one > > : CD -- AT MOST. IMHO there is definitely such a thing as too many apps. The > > > > I agree. Just so long as the apps are the ones that I want. 8) > > Definatley only 1 cd. > > I was kind of surprised there was no ircd in rc3 - possibly not the most > important app to have, *but* - and speaking of mission critical changes, > you know the little graphical tux you can have at boot time? How about > changing that to a little gentoo spaceship? :)
Hi Tom, I did this once with a 2.2.16 kernel for rc1 or rc2, then we switched to 2.4 and my handmade include did not work with it. But I found a nice kernel patch ( ), that replaces the whole boot-process witha graphic and a statusbar/line. All output from star-scripts can be passed to the statusbar via /proc/progress. You redirect all other output to another console so no info gets lost during boot. But that is something for 1.0 final or later. Bye Achim