From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] perl, sed and non-gsed
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:46:07
1 On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 08:36:56AM -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > We have no control over what Apple will do for a 10.3 -> 10.4 upgrade
3 > which is why IMHO the smokes and mirrors with paths is the best option.
4 > You can't go replacing primary OSX files with GNU ones and expect
5 > everything to be fine when OSX can fex. overwrite GNU sed with it's own
6 > version upon upgrade, or security release or whatnot. Then the user is
7 > screwed. I would expect similar behavior on BSD. Portage is not the
8 > primary handler of the system and it shouldn't try to be.
9
10 Phrased much less sarcastically then I did, but yeah, agreed.
11
12 Frankly, it nukes the usefulness of gentoo macos/osx if portage just
13 stomps whatever the hell it wants.
14 This is why collision-protect is on by default after all.
15 ~brian
16 --
17 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list