From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New schema language for metadata validation?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 14:49:55
1 On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >> But libxml2 does not seem to support it; that is, substituting the
3 >> DOCTYPE for an xml-model processing instruction and then using xmllint
4 >> --valid does not do the right thing (it complains there's no DOCTYPE).
5 >
6 > But does it /complain/ about the xml-model? Is it safe to add that to
7 > our XML files (in terms of tooling and stability of the spec)? If so, I
8 > can at least script the validation: parse the href from xml-model, fetch
9 > it somehow, run it through rnc2rng, and then pass it to xmllint.
10
11 It does not seem to complain about the xml-model, so that should be
12 quite viable.
13
14 Can I ask what your interest is? What tools are you involved with that
15 would want to use this?
16
17 > Or we could even generate the rng files automatically and host them like
18 > we do the DTDs to skip a step.
19
20 Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Too bad that we have to drag around
21 both, but I think the advantages in terms of readability and
22 modifiability for RNC and tool support for RNG really do make it the
23 best solution to have canonical RNCs with pre-generated RNGs.
24
25 Cheers,
26
27 Dirkjan