From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Saving package emerge output (einfo, elog, ewarn, etc.) somewhere official
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 07:26:52
1 Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> posted 493355A7.90503@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 01 Dec 2008 04:10:31 +0100:
3
4 > The info is there, but most users never read more than part 1 of the
5 > Handbook (that is, the installation part). We could, and should in my
6 > opinion, add a big fat warning towards the end of the installation part,
7 > that there is extremely useful information to be found in the other
8 > parts of the Handbook. Maybe we could especially mention some of the
9 > more useful topics, and the elog system would be one of them.
10
11 Well, at the end of the Handbook, Pt 1, Installation, in Chapter 12,
12 Where to go from here, it already mentions Pt 2, Working with Gentoo. It
13 really should mention Pts 3 & 4, Working with Portage and Gentoo Network
14 Configuration, as well, the chapter of interest here of course being in
15 Working with Portage.
16
17 So yes, we really could improve the end of the Handbook, pt 1, Where to
18 go from here, having it mention Pt 3 & 4 as well as Pt 2. That's
19 something we can and should do, absolutely.
20
21 Beyond that, however, Gentoo has never been about hand-holding. It
22 expects you to be big enough to cross the street on your own without
23 further hand-holding if it provides the stop light telling you when it's
24 safe to do so; to be able to find and read the documentation, which
25 Gentoo does have a generally excellent reputation in the community for
26 providing, on your own. There are plenty of other distributions out
27 there for those who prefer to let the distribution make the decisions and
28 take the responsibility. Gentoo has always been about giving the user
29 the ability to decide and configure that for himself, after reading the
30 documentation where necessary. If the user can't do that after we've
31 gone to all the work of providing both the means and the documentation on
32 configuring, right there in the official handbook even, with links and
33 references to the handbook quite well distributed already, well, maybe
34 that user really /should/ be looking at a different distribution.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman