From: Zack Gilburd <zack@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Good Work, Lads!
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:44:57
1 On Wednesday 25 June 2003 10:39, Stroller wrote:
2 > I personally don't give a damn when 1.4 is "released" (although I
3 > appreciate others comments that it'll be a milestone for the Gentoo), and I
4 > would imagine the mention of it in recent threads might be quite
5 > frustrating for the devs; I can imagine that end-users asking when 1.4 will
6 > be ready is like them saying "I don't care about all the hard work that
7 > you're putting into this project, I'm interested in superficial stuff
8 > here".
9
10 Unfortunately, it's like that with every project that has a viable user-base.
11 I do beta testing with Sillicon Ice Development (they're responsible for the
12 wonderful Urban Terror <http://urbanterror.net) and we get the same kind of
13 bombardment. I must say it's not that annoying when you're on the outside of
14 it, but once you've been on the inside of it (and just once is enough), it's
15 one of *the* most annoying things a person could ask. When "<whine> When
16 will blah be done?! </whine>" prompts a "when it's finished" type response,
17 as it usually does, the whiner tends to flame you for being "rude" to them,
18 after all, they only "asked a question." Unfortunately, the whiners don't
19 seem to understand the significance of grep and a search button, if
20 applicable.
21
22 Personally, I think "when it's done" is too lenient of a response. Anyone who
23 asks when the next release will be out had better have their asbestos
24 underwear on, first. ;)
27 Zack Gilburd
28 http://tehunlose.com
29 GnuPG Key ID: A79A45668240AB6C