From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 07:44:29
1 On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 08:15:42PM -0500, Alex McWhirter wrote
2
3 > As far as upstream support for eudev goes, consider that we are
4 > currently breaking out udev for use with openrc. There may still be
5 > loose support for this now, but when udev is not longer able to be
6 > separated from systemd it's guaranteed that support for this kind of
7 > configuration will be dropped.
8
9 I think the whole point of eudev is that Anthony here, rather than
10 Lennart at Redhat, is "upstream". Stop looking at the Redhat people as
11 "upstream" for eudev. They're doing their best to break it. I don't
12 know how many of you are old enough to remember the dirty tricks that
13 Microsoft pulled when IBM was running Windows 3.1 inside OS/2. One
14 minor tweak, and Windows 3.11 broke inside OS/2. Lennart and company
15 are actively hostile to us, and Gentoo risks annihilation and/or
16 absorption into the systemd Borg, if we consider the systemd people as
17 our "udev upstream".
18
19 eudev is an independant fork, and should stand on its own. I
20 currently use Pale Moon web browser, which is an independant fork of
21 Firefox. Look Ma, no Atrocious^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Austraulis GUI. Because
22 it's an independant fork, Firefox can shut down altogether, and Pale
23 Moon will keep going. That's the model I want eudev to follow.
24
25 > So with that being said, I'm all for making eudev default as the only
26 > other option would be making systemd default which is a completely
27 > different discussion. One or the other will likely have to happen at
28 > some point.
29
30 How difficult would it be to make it an install-time choice, like the
31 bootloader?
34 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
35 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications