From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] prepalldocs is now banned
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:40:07
1 On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 00:18:06 +0000
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 19:10:33 -0500
5 > Michael Sterrett <mr_bones_@g.o> wrote:
6 > > So everybody who emerges gnupg since this change is wasting space
7 > > for no good reason.
8 >
9 > If you care about a couple of hundred kilobytes, relying upon
10 > individual ebuilds to ask the package manager to compress
11 > documentation in some arbitrary manner is the wrong solution.
12
13 Then, for the nth time, what would be the good solution? How would one
14 convert prepalldocs usage to something allowed? I've failed to find
15 anything about it in the relevant bug and the only answer I've seen is
16 "remove it". You can count on me for marking any prepalldocs removal bug
17 I'll be the assignee as wontfix as long as there won't be any
18 alternative solution.
19
20 Note that I would consider a viable solution banning prepalldocs and
21 simply removing it if portage was compressing docs by its own or
22 calling prepalldocs after src_install... but then IMHO that's the
23 removal of prepalldocs that would require an EAPI bump not its
24 reintroduction.
27 Regards,
28
29 Alexis.