From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 16:07:14
1 On 12-09-2018 20:09:54 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 7:32 PM Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
3 > <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Alon Bar-Lev schrieb:
6 > > > We
7 > > > are unique as permutations and architectures that are used by Gentoo
8 > > > users are so diverse that we find issues that nobody else finds.
9 > >
10 > > This needs to be highlighted more, as it is why suggestions that the
11 > > maintainer can simply put -Werror back on their own system are insufficient.
14 > Wouldn't running into new runtime issues be exactly the sort of reason
15 > why we'd want to build with -Werror on packages where these issues are
16 > unacceptable?
17
18 Can you think of a way in which a new runtime issue would occur that
19 -Werror would have guarded? And that issue would also get through
20 maintainer and ~arch testing?
21
22 Fabian
25 Fabian Groffen