From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc: oldnet vs newnet
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:43:33
1 On Monday, September 20, 2010 13:21:25 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 11:16:08 -0500 William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > The drawback I see for newnet is that it does not allow the user to
4 > > control each interface separately, so if you want to cycle one
5 > > interface for some reason, this is not doable in that setup. I agree
6 > > this is a serious drawback. Oldnet addresses this by having a
7 > > separate script for each interface.
8 >
9 > That's not entirely true. If you use DHCP indeed, 'cycling' a single
10 > interface is as simple as:
11 >
12 > $ ifconfig eth0 down
14 > $ ifconfig eth0 up
15
16 relying on DHCP isnt an acceptable solution which means there is no safe way
17 to "reset" a single interface. from a maintainer/general pov, William's
18 statement is "true enough".
19 -mike