From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] make install suggestion/question
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:00:15
1 Holger Brueckner wrote:
2 >
3 > hi,
4 >
5 > just my personal opinion ... is there any reason to use opt at all ? ok, you
6 > reply it's standard .. but what do we really need it for ? now we have /usr
7 > /usr/local and /opt .. three different places for binaries to go too. i
8 > really don't like that :)
9 >
10 > here's my personal fix:
11 >
12 > mv /opt /usr/opt
13 > ln -s /usr/opt /opt
14 >
15 > :)
16 > Holger ... voted most angry looking #gentoo member ... *hehe*
17 >
18 Hi holger,
19
20 we plan to implement a more flexible method for install locations. In
21 future it will be
22 possible to decide if you wanna install to /opt/[package] or to /usr or
23 tp /usr/X11R6 or
24 to [wherever]. Till then we do not plan to break fhs by moving opt to
25 /usr or something similar.
26
27 bye achim~ (gentoos most busy memeber)