From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CVS ebuild's and Portage possibilities
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 04:46:31
1 sön 2001-10-28 klockan 11.55 skrev Joshua Pierre:
2 > Afternoon Gents,
3
4 Hi!
5
6 > We came to the conclusion that we could have a directory in Portage called
7 > cvs which is masked by default to prevent people not familiar with cvs
8 > software from accidently downloading it. We would also not provide
9 > support due to the nature of the software and we could enter
10 > disclaimers on the ebuild asking for y/n input.
11
12 IMHO we shouldn't have these kind of ebuilds in Portage. It will only
13 add loads of work for the developers no matter how many disclamers we
14 have about it being unsupported. People will send email/comment on
15 IRC/etc/etc about those ebuilds needing to be updated, them not working,
16 there system crashes in funny places (which we have no idea if it is
17 related to them using those ebuilds).
18
19 > Please let me know if this is do-able as I would really like to see this
20 > happen so we can still maintain a clean system with up to date
21 > software.
22
23 It is doable but imho shouldn't be done.
24
25 It is for issues like this that I requested a local portage-tree when I
26 started using Gentoo. Then a user could have his own ebuilds in that
27 tree out of the original portage tree. You could then provide your E cvs
28 ebuild from your site which a user can download and put in his local
29 tree.
30
31 That way it will be clear to him that you are responsible for that
32 ebuild and that questions should go to you, not to
33 gentoo-dev/gentoo-user.
34
35 Regards,
36 Mikael Hallendal
40 Mikael Hallendal
41 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
42 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden