From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: --as-needed to default LDFLAGS
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 00:00:22
1 Mike Auty <ikelos@g.o> posted 4841A7DA.7060605@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 31 May 2008 20:32:42 +0100:
3
4 > I think you're looking for the wrong things. I'm not an expert, but I
5 > think --as-needed means that if there are 20 libraries on your system
6 > that use libexpat.so.0 and 400 programs that use those 20 libraries,
7 > when libexpat is updated to libexpat.so.1, you only need to rebuild the
8 > 20 libraries, not all 420 packages (as you would do otherwise). I
9 > believe that's the main reason for using as-needed...
10
11 That has certainly been my experience. I've had way less rebuilds to
12 worry about since I added that to my LDFLAGS and rebuilt the system.
13 revdep-rebuild -p, which I run regularly after major world upgrades,
14 returns far fewer packages to rebuild, now.
19 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
22 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list