From: m h <sesquile@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Comparing Openpkg with portage
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:15:29
1 Thanks for the response, I guess I'll post to the osx mailing list, but
2 really my issue isn't about osx per se, but taking the osx portage port and
3 making it run on any posix system (solaris, osx, flavors of linux etc) in a
4 sandboxed environment.
5
6 > I've read through
7 > > the developer documentation and didn't find anything there. Google
8 > > hasn't necessarily been very useful either....
9 > > So, is it possible to sandbox a portage installation on top of say a
10 > > debian or fedora install? If so, can anyone point me in the right
11 > > direction?
12 >
13 > With current ebuilds, nope. There's no global prefix offset in the
14 > code for it (root is merge offset, not runtime prefix offset).
17 The osx port runs with the same ebuilds as the main portage tree right?
18
19 > Do any of the devs out here have experience with openpkg?
20 >
21 > Pretty much an extension of rpm spec's, afaik.
22 > Beyond that? Heh, nope :)
25 The basic idea is you bootstrap an environment on an existing system, and
26 then build rpm's on top of that. It would be nice to take advantage of
27 Gentoo's larger component tree (openpkg has ~400 items) as well as the
28 larger gentoo community.