From: Lina Pezzella <j4rg0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] virtual/gzip madness
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:26:08
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 >On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 11:36, Lina Pezzella wrote:
6 >>I would entirely agree on the second point there. System for macos has
7 >>very few things installed (gzip not among them) because a lot is
8 >>provided by MacOS. At this point in the game, where we are porting
9 >>Gentoo to non-Linux userlands, it is probably a bad idea to "assume"
10 >>much of anything.
14 >Shouldn't anything provided by MacOS itself be considered part of
15 >"system", since it would be there and is provided by the "system"
16 >component, which in your case happens to be MacOS?
17 >
18 >Also, if you notice, I corrected myself. In my original post, I did not
19 >mean that is how it should be done, but rather how it *is* done now in
20 >practice.
24 It actually is provided by package.provided, so in the case of gzip it's
25 a non-issue. I'm sorry for not being more clear on that. I didn't mean
26 to make any statements on how it currently is done, just on how it
27 should be done. Certain non-Linux userlands may not have the same
28 system requirements -- therefore imho the safest and most accurate way
29 to handle the situation is to provide proper DEPENDS in ebuilds
30 regardless of whether it's provided by system or not.
31
32 Just my two cents, nothing more. :-)
33
34 Regards,