From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Creation and handling of virtual/tar
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 12:49:41

Ok before going on with the profile changes for Gentoo/*BSD, I'd like
to fix the virtual/tar thing. Just to make the things more clear, of
the current and planned Gentoo/ALT ports, the "tar" command is going
to be provided by two different packages: app-arch/tar (GNU tar) and
app-arch/bsdtar (FreeBSD's tar). Both works on many operating
systems (I was able to port bsdtar to Solaris, too :P) and are syntax
compatible.
The distribution of them is this:

app-arch/tar is the default for Gentoo Linux, Gentoo Darwin, Gentoo
OSX, Gentoo DragonFlyBSD
app-arch/bsdtar is the default for Gentoo FreeBSD

It might seem not distributed in the right way, I know, but that's
what I have right now :P

Right now one can have two different tar commands installed, one as
gtar and one as bsdtar, and a symlink for tar command depending on
the CHOST/USERLAND variables. It would be great for people to select
their own tar command, so that people who wants to use bsdtar instead
of gtar on Linux can do that without problems.

I already[1] talked about handling compatible alternatives, and I'd
like to progress with this. Carsten suggestion on that thread is
actually valid, an eclass would probably solve many problems.

What I want to hear is if anyone has good reasons to not allowing
choosing the tar command between the two compatible alternatives
(both works fine with portage). If nobody has reasons, I'll be back
in a couple of days with eclass, modified ebuilds, and if I can find
time to learn about it an eselect module to select a generic
"tool" (tar only in this moment).

The problem right now is registering a list of viable alternatives,
that would be simple with eselect but the problem might be that
virtual/tar would be a system package and right now depending on
eselect might not be the case (when new compiler-config is unmasked,
the problem probably does not exists anymore).

eselect devs are welcome to slap me if I'm being stupid ;)

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/32099
- --
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE