From: Anna V <cyber+gentoo@×××××.in>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Status of Python 3.8
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 07:38:47
1 On 2022-11-06 07:09, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > I think it's time to ask once again: how much do you need Python 3.8
5 > target to remain available in Gentoo?
6 >
7 > Right now we support four CPython targets: 3.8 through 3.11. 3.10 is
8 > the current default, we're going to move 3.11 from ~arch to stable soon.
9 > We've also added the first alpha release of Python 3.12 but it's not
10 > going to make it into PYTHON_TARGETS until the feature freeze (planned
11 > for May 2023).
12 >
13 > Right now 3.8 and 3.9 are both in "security" supported state upstream,
14 > i.e. they no longer receive bugfixes except for (some of) security
15 > backports. Backporting more security fixes hasn't been much of
16 > a problem, though it means we're slowly diverging from vanilla installs.
17 >
18 > Python packages tend to continue providing support or at least working
19 > with Python 3.8. I suspect that if a package is missing 3.8 target,
20 > it's more often because it wasn't tested than because it doesn't work.
21
22 Some packages fail tests on py3.8, see:
23 https://github.com/fastavro/fastavro/issues/558
24
25 And it's often unclear whether a package is broken on a specific Python
26 version or on all of them. So having lots of targets is a problem for
27 debugging.
28
29 > So, no major reason to remove Python 3.8, except that testing packages
30 > on four interpreters obviously takes more time than on three, and this
31 > is starting to become noticeable.