From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bootstrapping since gcc 3.4 is stable
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:45:40
1 >> I'd like to see, that bootstrap.sh unmerges any old gcc
2 >> (emerge -C \<${gcc package that we just compiled})
3 >
4 > that's a bad idea imo
5 > let the user decide which gcc they wish to have
6
7 So i understand what you're trying to tell me, but bootstrap.sh makes
8 the choice already:
9 bootstrap.sh only rebuilds gcc 3.4
10 (i looked that up in my emerge.log)
11
12 gcc 3.3 is only rebuild (and thereby updated) by "emerge -e system".
13
14 >> so that a clean system is built with gcc 3.4 only!
15 >
16 > it wouldnt anyways as the version of gcc isnt changed unless the user does so
17 >
18 > so unless you ran `gcc-config 3.4.4`, your gcc version would still be 3.3.x
19
20 Right, and it will be the gcc 3.3 included in the stage1 tarball - even
21 if a new gcc 3.3 version is available. So if the user wants to use gcc
22 3.3, he has to manually update gcc (for example to have features not
23 included in the gcc from the stage1 tarball).
24 For example my stage1 inclueded gcc 3.3.5* - but 3.3.6 is already stable.
25
26 So no matter if the user wants gcc 3.3 or gcc 3.4, the user has to do
27 something manually to get a "proper" gentoo.
28
29 If i may suggest something, then i would recomm that the user is abled
30 to specify the gcc installed by bootstrap.sh like this:
31 bootstrap.sh --gccspec "=sys-devel/gcc-3.3*"
32
33 The default should be the "newest" gcc.
34
35 In the above example, bootstrap.sh installs GCCV="sys-devel/gcc-3.3.6"
36 After that, bootstrap.sh could unmerge the gcc included in the stage1 by
37 emerge -C "<$GCCV" ">$GCCV"
40 Greetings
41 Sven