From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC Package name additions
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 17:22:02
1 On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 02:20 -0700, Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:
2 >
3 > There is a bit of contradiction in what you said there.
4 > Either the package is well tested, and should go into the tree, first
5 > with ~arch keywords, and then eventually with arch keywords, or
6 > it is experimental, and as such has to be outside of our main tree.
7
8 Well take Tomcat 6.0.x for example. I followed it's development and did
9 many bumps over 3-4 months or so, from 6.0.2 to 6.0.10. Several in
10 between went alpha, a few betas. They wanted to do several releases, but
11 kept finding bugs or etc. That delayed a the release and caused them to
12 do another bump on package version. Which after all that will likely be
13 some time before they release > 6.0.10 :)
14
15 Now sure if any Gentoo users contributed in that process. But at the
16 same time, I would like to give those using this stuff as much notice
17 as possible. So they can test in their own envs. Keep in mind most of
18 this is server stuff. Most will want to test for some time before it
19 gets deployed to a production env.
20
21 From watching user comments on the developers list. Many are still
22 running Tomcat 5.0.28 since there were issues in 5.5.x that were not
23 resolved for years till 5.5.23 was released a few weeks ago.
24
25 WRT Gentoo, part of the idea behind following upstream that closely.
26 Allows us to hopefully identify any issues ahead of time. So when
27 upstream does an official release. We can bump package, wait 30 days and
28 stabilize. Without that being dragged out due to bug discoveries, and
29 waiting for upstream to react after the fact.
30
31 Tomcat did go unmaintained for about a year or so. Also trying to make
32 up for that. Letting people know it will be active maintained. Which
33 hopefully will encourage them to use Gentoo for their Java Server
34 platform or etc.
35
36 > Thus you can either want to test stuff by giving it more exposure,
37 > which implies the stuff is experimental, or you have stable stuff,
38 > but then you shouldn't be talking about the development cycle of the
39 > said software.
40
41 Any version of say Tomcat or mod_jk, I have put into tree before
42 official release has been stable for me. Idea is to find out if it's
43 stable for others as well. So while it's official status cause it to
44 fall into experimental category. Most have no issues, and bugs do not
45 tend to be very obvious or commonly run into.
48 William L. Thomson Jr.
49 Gentoo/Java