From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage question
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 15:05:17
1 Den 25 Aug 2001 21:54:57 +0100 skrev Christopher Burgess:
2 > How do I emerge a package, but before it's built apply my own patches to the
3 > source?
4 > e.g. use emerge to download the source, unpack it etc - stop it here, do my
5 > own mods to the source - then let emerge build and install it.
6 >
7 > The main reason is that I am having some problems with xfree4.1.0 locking up
8 > on with my radeon card (on startx it just locks up and sends the monitor
9 > into power save mode) unless I use the "noaccel" option which is horribly
10 > slow and I don't get DRI with that. I have searched the xfree mailing lists
11 > and found a small hand patch which might fix it, but rather than downloading
12 > it manually (the xfree source) I'd rather use emerge. However to be able to
13 > do this on other packages (modifying the source before emerge builds) would
14 > be useful.
15 > Also is there anyone else having a Radeon problem with xfree?
16
17 Hi!
18
19 You can do this by:
20
21 ebuild package.ebuild unpack
22 apply your changes
23 ebuild package.ebuild qmerge
24
25 If this is a patch that others would have need of (and it doesn't break
26 anything for folks with other graphic cards) we should consider adding
27 it by default.
28
29 Regards,
30 Mikael Hallendal
34 Mikael Hallendal
35 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
36 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden