From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] per-package USE documentation (from gentoo-doc)
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 15:41:40
1 I'm not sure anybody ('cept maybe Luke-Jr) got my point, so I'll try to be
2 clearer. :-)
3
4 On Tuesday 09 December 2003 02:50, Jason Stubbs wrote:
5 > Hmmm, just looking through use.desc I couldn't really see any many other
6 > flags that immediately sprang to mind as being as bad as the "java" one.
7 > "mysql" is definately another candidate.
8
9 "mysql" has a definition of "Adds mySQL support". My contention is that it is
10 too general. Most users that would add this flag would be developers of sql
11 stuff. Reading the definition and having knowledge of mysql, I would think it
12 enabled support for mysql in things like tora. However, it also enables mysql
13 support in packages totally unrelated to development such as postfix.
14
15 My suggestion is that the USE flags be overhauled to put some order into it.
16 Ideally, this would be done along the lines of Luke-Jr's post. Hence, the
17 above should be split into mysql-dev and mysql-user or some such. The same
18 could be done with the java USE flag.
19
20 Speaking of the java USE flag, I would suggest that a new java-dev flag should
21 still add gcj to gcc. If a java developer doesn't want gcj, that's a
22 per-package customization issue that will be fully supported in portage-ng
23 (and 2.0.50?)
24
25 Regards,
26 Jason Stubbs