From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.force support
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:27:41
1 Sven Wegener wrote:
2 > We just had a short discussion over in #gentoo-portage and the idea of
3 > an use.force file for profiles came up. It allows us to force some USE
4 > flags to be turned on for a profile. It's not possible to disable this
5 > flag by make.conf, the environment or package.use. But we would not be
6 > Gentoo, if we don't leave a backdoor. You can disable the flag by
7 > putting -flag in /etc/portage/profile/use.force if you really need to.
8 > Same goes for sub-profiles that need to disable this flag.
9
10 Yay!
11
12 > I gues use.force has some other places where it is useful. Like the
13 > default-darwin profiles which use ARCH="ppc" and USE="ppc-macos" but the
14 > ppc-macos flag can be removed by using USE="-ppc-macos" in the
15 > environment. Or selinux profiles, to force the selinux flag to be turned
16 > on.
17
18 It'll be also very useful for the amd64 profiles as in 2005.0 the use
19 flag 'multilib' is disabled but multilib-support is forced. (There are
20 no-multilib-profiles though.)
21
22 > Comments?
23
24 I consider use.force very useful, it'll finally make all the amd64 users
25 stop asking themselves why the documenation says they will get multilib
26 but the use flag is disabled, so please, go ahead implementing it.
27
28 Regards,
29
30 blubb