From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo theming during bootup
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:55:23
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 19:15 +0000, Wiktor Wandachowicz wrote:
3 >> Carsten Lohrke <carlo <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 >>
5 >>> How do you want not to enforce it?
6 >> Have you actually read the proposal? It's quite sensible and is entitled:
7 >>
8 >> "Proposal: Integrated boot themes on LiveCDs and installations"
9 >>
10 >> I suppose that the themes would be defaulted to on the LiveCDs and optional
11 >> for regular installations - typical emerge-if-you-need-it situation.
12 >
13 > Funny enough, this was something that I heard requested *many times*
14 > when we were at the booth at LWE. Many of our users think that upstream
15 > defaults are ugly. I tend to agree. I would love to see the "branding"
16 > USE flag added *and used* to give us themes. One of the main reasons
17 > that I chose Gnome over KDE originally was that Gnome had the nice
18 > little Gentoo splash and gdm already had Gentoo themes (even if they
19 > were not the default). It just also happened that later when I tried to
20 > build a KDE-only CD that I couldn't get it to fit on the CD along with
21 > the other stuff, meaning I would have had to remove other packages and I
22 > was planning on investing more time into determining what should go/stay
23 > before touching it.
24 >
25 >>> Still, the basic question is: Why!?
26 >> Because it may lead to the creation of well thought out and integrated themes
27 >> for several programs that are able to use them? Including more robustness
28 >> and/or functionality similar to the one that the gfxboot provides?
29 >
30 > How about "Why not?" as an answer? It isn't like anyone said that you
31 > would have to do the work. As it stands now, Release Engineering has
32 > someone who does the splash themes for the releases, and this person
33 > could well be tapped to either create or assist in creating a unified
34 > theme set. It really is funny that Donnie brought this up since this
35 > was something that we were actually discussing at LWE.
36 >
37 >>> There's no benefit for the user, who will choose whatever theming
38 >>> he wants anyways.
39 >> I for one would be delighted if there was such new set of themes. I'd use
40 >> them right away. To be honest, I tend to match my bootsplash theme with the
41 >> one that's used on the current LiveCD. Somehow I feel I need that when people
42 >> come and ask me "What Linux distro do you use?". If it happens that they ask
43 >> when I boot my laptop they can watch the nice graphical progress (bootsplash)
44 >> and finally my gdm theme. Having a Gentoo theme here helps to associate the
45 >> theme with the distribution. Nobody forced me to do this. I just like it :)
46 >
47 > I tend to agree. My laptop also runs the same splash theme as the
48 > release. In fact, it usually is one of the first boxes running it,
49 > since we do testing there before we ever roll it onto a CD.
50 >
51 >>> Imho it's superfluous
52 >> To be honest, there are not so many themes out there that are worth
53 >> installing. A good set of Gentoo themes is one of the best ideas
54 >> I've heard for a long time. (!)
55 >
56 > You think it is superfluous. I do not. I respect your opinion on this.
57 > Basically, you don't have to work on it. Nobody is forcing you to do so
58 > or even asking you to participate.
59 >
60 >>> and therefore wasted time.
61 >> I understand your point. But are you sure that spreading the "negative energy"
62 >> and killing the idea is best? No progress is done without breaking rules
63 >> and working against the inertia of habits.
64 >
65 > Sure, it would be wasted time if someone were trying to force *you* to
66 > waste *your* time as you are not interested. For those of us that are,
67 > it isn't a waste in any sense.
68 >
69 >>> I for one favor to stick with that, what upstream provides.
70 >> I guess you should be able to leave with that. No one would "force" you to
71 >> switch the splashes/background/themes unless you wanted it.
72 >
73 > Correct.
74 >
75 >> And while we are at it, is there any chance that the bug #124920
76 >> could be taken into account while creating new gdm theme?
77 >
78 > I don't see why not.
81 You said everything I wanted to say. I'll add this:
82
83 I talked to spyderous and christel about this on irc the other day. I
84 think we should have a unified Gentoo Theme that cuts across all
85 projects. I'm willing to theme *.gentoo.org to match and I'm also
86 willing to help out with theming other things or actually creating the
87 artwork if we really need help on that front (I'm not an artist but if
88 we have basic artwork made I can fit it into other things, do layouts,
89 help patch ebuilds, etc...).
90
91 Spyderous already has a new logo started that we can build on. We can
92 easily take it and build an entire theme around it. We also have the
93 lila theme and the Gentoo Icon Set we can use as raw material. Both of
94 them could easily be reworked into something we can use if we need to.
95
96 The theme we create could easily be extended to all the other things we
97 use artwork for, business cards and posters for the live events plus all
98 the things in the store, etc...
99
100 Personally, I think it's time we stopped releasing with the default,
101 upstream, ugly and boring themes and start releasing with a unified
102 distro wide Gentoo Theme. Present the world with a professional face for
103 a change instead of this ad-hoc-made-in-my-basement look and feel it has
104 now.
105
106 SO, what sort of time frame is everyone looking at here, 2006.1 or 2007.0?