From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 04:35:13
1 Rich Freeman posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 19:52:40 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 7:22 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I hold a perhaps radical view: I would like to simply remove stable.
6 >>
7 >> I continue to feel that maintaining two worlds (stable+unstable)
8 >> carries with it an unneccessary cost.
11 > The question is whether devs would start being more conservative with
12 > ~arch if it essentially turned into the new stable?
13 >
14 > If ~arch doesn't break then we're probably delaying updates too much.
15 > If it does start breaking and we don't have any alternative, we'll
16 > probably start losing users who just can't deal with their systems
17 > breaking.
18 >
19 > Personally I'd rather see stable stick around. If it isn't updated
20 > often that isn't a big deal (to me at least).
21
22 Indeed, while along with Peter I have little personal use for stable
23 (~arch is my stable, live-git my unstable, and stale arch, well, stale),
24 I've come to realize over the years that there's enough gentooers, both
25 users and devs, that do stable, that killing it isn't going to be the
26 boon people only looking at all that "wasted" effort might believe it to
27 be.
28
29 Instead, were gentoo to lose stable, it'd ultimately shrink as both users
30 and devs that previously found gentoo stable the most effective 'scratch'
31 to their 'configurable stability itch', were forced to look elsewhere to
32 scratch that itch. While there's a small chance it'd be an incremental
33 gain for gentoo ~arch, there's a far larger chance it'd be the beginning
34 of the end as without stable, the gentoo community could easily shrink
35 into unsustainability -- too few people ever considering being users to
36 produce enough incoming developers to maintain gentoo ~arch at anything
37 close to the level we have now.
40 OTOH, there may be a case to be made for the implications of Rich's
41 suggestion... and mine above. Arguably just lose the pretense and simply
42 rename stable -> stale, and let people that want/need it continue to deal
43 with it on those terms. At least that way gentoo security advisories,
44 etc could then be for "gentoo stale", and as such wouldn't look so dated
45 when they come out half a year after the upstream public vulnerability
46 and patch and/or unaffected release announcements, because that's what it
47 took to stabilize the patched version on some platform or other that was
48 holding up the glsa.
49
50 Automating stabilization and automated keyword dropping on timeouts seems
51 the only other practical choice, as unfortunately, "stale" is what we
52 have today in practice, if not in name.
53
54 So yes, I support the initiative. =:^)
59 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman