From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] systems-246 changes tmpfs default size from 50% to 10% of RAM
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 19:14:14
1 On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 2:50 PM Zoltan Puskas <zoltan@×××××××××.info> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I've upgraded to and running systemd-246_rc2 on one of my systems and
6 > noticed that tmpfs mounted directories are significantly smaller.
7 >
8 > This is because with commit
9 > https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/7d85383edbab73274dc81cc888d884bb01070bc2
10 > they have changed them to be 10% of the physical memory instead of the
11 > default of 50%.
12 >
13 > This is a potentially breaking, or at least an unexpected behaviour
14 > change, especially for people using tmpfs on /tmp for compiling.
15 >
16 > Maybe we should make a news item to let people know that they either
17 > need to add an fstab entry with size option set, or better, create a
18 > systemd local override with relevant content.
19
20 Don't use /tmp for PORTAGE_TMPDIR. /tmp is meant for small temporary
21 storage. If you want to compile in a tmpfs, set up a separate mount
22 point for it.
23
24 I don't intend to create a news item for this, but I would not object
25 to someone else doing it.