From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal to undeprecate EGO_SUM
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:03:57
1 On Mon, 2022-06-13 at 11:30 +0200, Florian Schmaus wrote:
2 > On 13/06/2022 10.29, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 2022-06-13 at 09:44 +0200, Florian Schmaus wrote:
5 > > > where some voices where in agreement that EGO_SUM has its raison d'être,
6 > > > while there where no arguments in favor of eventually removing EGO_SUM,
7 > > > I hereby propose to undeprecate EGO_SUM.
8 > > >
9 > > > 1: https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/1a64a8e7694c3ee11cd48a58a95f2faa
10 > > >
11 > >
12 > > "We've been rehashing the discussion until all opposition got tired
13 > > and stopped replying, then we claim everyone agrees".
14 >
15 > I understand this comment so that there was already a discussion about
16 > deprecating and removing EGO_SUM. I usually try to follow what's going
17 > on Gentoo and I remember the discussion about introducing dependency
18 > tarballs. But I apparently have missed the part where EGO_SUM was slated
19 > for removal. And it appears I am not the only one, at least Ionen also
20 > wrote "Missed bits and pieces but was never quite sure why this went
21 > toward full deprecation, just discouraged may have been fair enough, …".
22 >
23 > In any case, I am sorry for bringing this discussion up again. But since
24 > I started rehashing this, no arguments why EGO_SUM should be removed
25 > have been provided. And so far, I failed to find the old discussions
26 > where I'd hope to find some rationale behind the deprecation of EGO_SUM. :/
29 I disagree. Robin has made a pretty complete summary in his mail, with
30 numbers that prove how bad EGO_SUM is/was [1]. While he may have
31 disagreed with dependency tarballs, he brought pretty clear arguments
32 how EGO_SUM is even worse. Multiplied by all the Gentoo systems that
33 won't ever install 95% of Go packages, yet all have to carry their
34 overhead.
35
36 [1]
37 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/8e2a4002bfc6258d65dcf725db347cb9