From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] libpng update steps: How to do it without breaking things
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:32:30
1 Hello, I've written this out a few times in subthreads, so here's a
2 repost with step-by-step instructions on how to get the updated libpng
3 installed and actually working.
6 step-by-step guide for fixing libpng problems:
7 1) emerge =libpng-1.2.1-r1
8 2) sh /usr/portage/media-libs/libpng/files/libpng-update-libs.sh
9 2a) <get a listing of packages to rebuild>
10 3) emerge packages from 2a
11 4) sh /usr/portage/media-libs/libpng/files/libpng-update-bins.sh
12 4a) <get a listing of programs to rebuild>
13 5) emerge packages from 4a
16 Cumbersome steps I know, (also see my first post Thu, 4 Apr 2002
17 "[gentoo-user] Libpng 1.2.1 / force rebuild" )
18
19 The main problem you are facing is that for some reason the system mixes
20 libraries. since the symlinks from libpng.so.2 and libpng.so.3 are
21 intact, I really don't understand -why- the dynamic linker loads the
22 wrong version of libpng. This is the core of the problem you and many
23 others are facing.
24
25 The libraries generally affected are:
26 kdelibs imlib imlib2 gdk-pixbuf imagemagick mozilla gnome-libs
27 cups gimp
31 //Spider
32 --
33 begin .signature
34 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
36 end