From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: converting copyright/license information in OpenRC
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 17:43:51
1 On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 02:16:30PM -0800, Patrick McLean wrote:
2 > On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 15:37:48 -0600
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 09:04:47PM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
6 > > > >>>>> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015, William Hubbs wrote:
7 > > >
8 > > Well, the OpenRC project is currently inconsistent about this, so the
9 > > intention is to make it consistent.
10 > >
11 > > The .c/.h files have file-scope licenses, but that isn't true for
12 > > everything in the project.
13 > >
14 > > I am willing to make the effort to do this, I was just wondering if
15 > > there are any legal pitfalls I need to worry about.
16 > >
17 > > My theory is I can probably use git to find out who all of the authors
18 > > are, and generate an Authors list from that information and from
19 > > looking at copyright notices.
22 > One concern about this is the possibility of copied code. If OpenRC
23 > ever copied code from other BSD licensed projects, then dropping the
24 > notice from the top of the file would be a violation of the upstream
25 > license.
26
27 The only thing I know about immediately that we have copied from an
28 upstream is queue.h, and sure, I wasn't planning on touching that file.
29 The same applies to any other files copied from an upstream that I find,
30 or any functions that I see that are obviously copied. I'm thinking I
31 will be able to detect this by extra copyright notices that are from
32 sources not listed in the log.
33
34 William