From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: pkg_rm_pretend?
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 07:51:09
1 Kent Fredric posted on Thu, 12 Oct 2017 05:20:24 +1300 as excerpted:
2
3 > This is especially annoying as:
4 >
5 > 1. Its very easy to overlook one package in a 400 package depclean
6 > notice.
7
8 Wow. How'd you ever get a backlog of 400 packages in your depclean list,
9 including critical ones you know you want to keep? These days portage
10 even strongly suggests running depclean after an --update @world, in part
11 to avoid such huge and confusing backlogs when it is run.
12
13 > Related:
14 >
15 > It would also be nice if pkg_pretend ( or something like it ) happened
16 > *BEFORE* offering the [Y/N] prompt with `emerge -va `, not, as it
17 > currently does, wait until after you press "y" to execute those checks.
18
19 That has irritated me a few times as well, tho I know /why/ it works that
20 way.
21
22 As the name suggests, pkg_pretend is /supposed/ to be run at pretend
23 time, thus before the --ask prompt, both as originally designed and as
24 speced by PMS. The problem the portage implementors apparently ran into
25 is that some of the pkg_pretend stuff ends up being a bit expensive to
26 run just to get the initial listing, so the (controversial) decision was
27 made to run it /after/ the go-ahead. If it's going to double the
28 processing time just for a pretend...
29
30 Which kind of defeats the purpose I think, but...
31
32 Maybe what we need is a two-stage pretend/ask, a first stage that does
33 the minimum dependency graphing, etc, and a second stage that does the
34 pkg_pretend.
35
36 Then an --expensive flag could be added to enhance --pretend and --ask,
37 that would run the second stage too, before the prompt for --ask. Maybe
38 --expensive could automatically double backtrack count as well, so people
39 could run with a lower backtrack by default and choose whether to run
40 --expensive or deal with it manually if the lower backtrack didn't
41 propose a satisfactory solution.
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman